Understanding Spray Foam Insulation and R-value
In the construction industry, R-value (resistance value) is the measure of the length of time an object resists heat flow. The higher the number, the more energy efficiency is obtained.
According to the Department of Energy, sprayed foam or foam-in-place insulation is best, being twice as effective as conventional applications of glass fiber batts and blown-in cellulose per inch. And, because R-value is based on air movement and foam prevents all air movement, actual values are expected to be better than a rating of 6 per 1" thick versus 3 for conventional insulation.
Studies suggest polyurethane spray foam insulation lowers energy costs 20%-40%, depending on lifestyle, location, and building design. Benefits are gained with a minimum 2" application. The colder the winter, the higher the R-value needed.
Besides having one of the highest R-values in the industry, ArmorFoam™ polyurethane sprayed foam insulation outperforms conventional insulation because it:
- Minimizes chance of mold and mildew by forming a seamless air barrier that blocks moisture
- Prevents leaks when applied seamlessly
- Reduces noise better than others
- Adds protective strength to walls and roofs to defend against wind and water damage
- Stays put with no settling
- Insulates new structures and seals existing foundations, pipes, attic ceilings and walls, and the underside of flooring accessed from crawl spaces
- Applies more easily and tightly in irregularly shaped areas and around obstructions
These points make closed cell spray foam the choice for both residential and commercial construction. ArmorFoam’s ability to reinforce and reduce potential structural damage caused by earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and severe straight winds is particularly effective for protecting metal and wood frame buildings.
Should More Insulation Be Added?
Sprayed foam insulation is the obvious choice for new buildings, but what about existing structures? The Department of Energy recommends doing a professional energy assessment. This would include:
- Which areas in the home or building are or aren’t properly insulated
- The type of insulation currently installed
- The R-value and thickness of the existing insulation
Increasing the thickness of insulation improves of the R-value. Spraying the foam insulation twice as thick gives twice the R-value. However, doubling then compressing traditional insulation does not achieve twice the R-value; this removes the trapped air they rely on for insulation. Therefore, space may restrict the ability to properly add traditional materials. Replacing traditional insulation with spray foam will double the efficiency rating in the same amount of space.
Another factor is how well the insulation is placed. Gaps between the studs or windows and insulation reduce the R factor. Higher insulating value is gained with spray foam by filling even the smallest cavities and crevices often overlooked with batts and loose fill.
Spray Foam Insulation Application
Energy savings begin with quality Insulation.
- Traditional insulation leaves gaps and gaps, and air infiltration can be a major reason for energy losses.
- ArmorFoam is a perfect sealer for spaces and creates a vacuum barrier that stops air loss and heat transfer that comes along with it.
- Spray foam provides the most effective air-sealing properties and the highest R-Value per inch for residential and commercial uses.
- It's not difficult to see that the right insulation can significantly save cooling and heating costs.
- Homes and buildings insulated with ArmorFoam will easily cover the installation costs by lowering costs for utilities.
- Our kits are completely self-contained and completely recyclable.
- They are complete with everything you need to begin spraying.
- It's not difficult to see that the right insulation can significantly save cooling and heating costs. Homes and buildings insulated with ArmorFoam will easily cover the installation costs by lowering costs for utilities. You'll save money once your Foam has dried!
The installation of spray foam is simple and can significantly increase a house or building's energy efficiency and resistance to heat. Closed-cell foams are so efficient that just three inches sprayed in wall cavities can provide an insulation value of more than R18! Our products are specifically designed to be used in new construction as well as existing buildings and homes.
- Closed Cell Fast Rise Formulas: for new construction as well as open walls. It is a great option for crawl spaces and attic insulation.
- Closed Cell Slow Rise Formulas: For walls that are in use and retrofits
- Open Cell Formulas: For soundproofing, as well as other applications that require specialization.
- We provide retail sales for small jobs and wholesale bulk pricing for larger jobs.
- Our knowledgeable customer service team is available 24/7 to answer your questions and assist you with planning projects.
- You may cut costs on your monthly energy bill or please your clients; ArmorThane can help.
- The majority of our products are high-performance and of excellent value. Sign up today to receive the equipment you need to save money on energy!
Open Cell vs. Closed Cell Foam Which one should I Choose?
Are you trying to determine what kind of Foam to use for your projects? It's a bit more complicated than you think. No worries, we are here to help you the whole way! Even though closed-cell foam and open-cell foam provide insulation to homes, they do this in different methods.
Why Choose ArmorFoam?
ArmorThane is a well-known leader in providing spray foam, foam supplies, and other accessories for homeowners and contractors alike.
ArmorThane CLOSED CELL SPRAY FOAM HAS ONE the highest R-values of the Industry.
Each of the insulations we offer is produced with the highest quality blasting and flame-retardant chemicals available today. They do not contain VOCs, CFCs, Formaldehyde, or PENTA-BDEs and are free of their negative health and environmental effects.
ArmorFoam(tm) Advantage:Huge savings
Homes constructed by ArmorFoam will begin saving money on the day you put up the spray foam. Installation of spray foam insulation can save you money by reducing your monthly energy costs.Air Barrier
Leaks cost you a bundle. Adding just an inch or so of Foam to your home's insulation will drastically reduce air leaks.Vapor Retarder
In contrast to open-cell spray or fiberglass insulation, or cellulose, the ArmorFoam closed-cell insulation can be described as virtually waterproof.Easy To Apply
ArmorFoam is designed to be easy to use. You will see the results you want right from the initial spray. There are simple instructions, free assistance, videos on how-to, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee against any flaws.