Secondary Spill Containment Protection
Safeguard Secondary Containment
Secondary containment is essential to prevent leaks and spills from polluting surrounding areas and groundwater. ArmorThane industrial coatings are involved in the maintenance and rehabilitation of all types of containment systems. These structures may be sealed or open air with surfaces of metal, plastic, concrete or geotextile materials. Dirt is not enough. Some of these uses include:
ArmorThane has a number of pure and hybrid Polyurea and Polyurethane products for spraying secondary containment pits, containment booms or building containment berms. These products dry to form a leak-proof membrane that holds any type of liquid spills. It has the flexibility to prevent cracking with weather and ground shift.
- Oil and Gas Well Sites and Facilities
- Chemical Facilities and Storage Areas
- Tanks Farm Dikes or Berms
- Sumps and Trenches
- Drum Storage Areas
- Petroleum Storage
Creating a leak-proof membrane is critical for secondary containment. Just when needed most, aging systems can fail due to freeze-thaw, intense dry heat, ground shift and other environmental factors. Fortunately, ArmorThane has a number of protective coatings that create a long-lasting chemical and waterproof barrier. Spraying over a geotextile material and other containment berms and pits is both effective and relatively inexpensive. The coating seals around all cracks and crevices including penetrations. If equipment is moved, removed or added, the containment can be securely patched if needed.
Corrosion and Weather Resistance
Back-up systems typically involve hazardous materials such as chemicals, fuels, wastewater, crude oil and other corrosive liquids. Our polyurethane and polyurea coatings are used to prevent corrosion, rust and surface degradation that can cause secondary containment systems to fail. Reactants and corrosive materials sit harmlessly against ArmorThane’s polymers without damaging the surface. Maintenance and liability costs can be greatly reduced.
In addition to corrosion and rust, ArmorThane coatings are not damaged by constant exposure to direct sunlight. They expand and contract without cracking in extreme weather.
Unlike pre-formed liners, sprayed-on coatings are thinner and take up less space. They form a seamless membrane that exactly fits the shape, even where poles, pumps and other internal or external structures attach.
Rubber Liner and Paint Problems
Rubber lining, paint and other surface protection simply do not last as long as polymers such as polyurethane and polyurea. They can also release and absorb materials causing contamination. And, they do not have the same abrasion and corrosion resistance as polyurethane or polyurea. Rubber and paint contain weaknesses that chemically-aggressive fluids will find and exploit. Many of our products are 25-40% less expensive with better durability than comparable epoxy coatings.
Key Coating Products for Secondary Containment
ArmorThane Secondary Containment coatings are involved with all types of containment systems that may be sealed or open air with surfaces of metal, plastic, concrete or geotextile materials. The goal is to prevent leaks and spills from harming people, surrounding areas and groundwater. Here are products typically used:
- EnviroThane – modified polyurea: top-of-the-line chemically resistance and impermeable membrane; quick set time; excellent flexibility; extremely low shrinkage rates (even better than typical elastomers)
- HighLine 310 – polyureas: sets as quickly as 2 seconds; very good impact, abrasion, and chemical resistance; consistent qualities even in extreme hot or cold climates
- HighLine 510 – pure polyurea: excellent corrosion resistance; superior skid resistance even to the HighLine 310; slightly slower set time for a smoother texture application; lower sensitivity to moisture for spraying in environments that don’t allow other elastomeric coatings options
- Armor HiChem – polyurea: most comprehensive chemical and corrosion resistance; good skid resistance; very good impact and abrasion resistance; ideal for chemically corrosive material handling
- SureGrip – soft polyurea: greatest elongation properties, tensile and tear strength for high movement; adapts very well to multiple substrates; highest coefficient of friction, maxing out our slip resistance testing