ArmorThane UltraBlast™ is the strongest, toughest coating known to the industry, having physical properties that are approximately triple those found in other high quality polyureas. This is important for the safety of people, property and the environment.
How Does an Explosion Cause Damage?
First, the massive pressure rips apart structures and the exploding debris acts like shrapnel. Second, damage causes buildings to weaken and collapse.
How Does Blast Mitigation Work?
ArmorThane’s UltraBlast forms a strong “skin” that absorbs the shock to hold the surface together. This maximum tensile strength and high elongation prevents or lessens cracking and fragmentation. The increased concussive force deflection and absorption works well with another of UltraBlast’s characteristics, its anti-spall protection. These superior properties reinforce the matrix of a structure, adding protection at every point it is applied.
ArmorBlast™ is the original product developed to protect against explosions. It is somewhat less expensive but still effective for many uses.
ArmorThane’s military-grade blast coatings have been tested on several structures consisting of concrete, tile and concrete masonry units (CMU) to simulate public buildings. These tests showed the products to significantly reduce building damage from explosion, compared to non-coated surfaces and other products. Five types of testing sites have been used:
- The University of Missouri, Rolla, Explosives Laboratory – C-4 explosives on coated and uncoated walls
- National Security Associates – multiple live grenades thrown into concrete training bunkers
- Iraq government and military – high powered rifle shots
- Iraq government and military – about a two-and-one-quarter pound pack of explosive material (one kilogram) on coated and uncoated walls
- Iraq officials – 30-foot (about 9-meter) drop of coated and uncoated ceramic tiles
Uses of UltraBlast and ArmorBlast Coatings
Targets most likely at risk for damage caused by bombs include:
- Military Vehicles, Equipment, Bunkers and Facilities
- Political / Government Facilities, Executive Residences
- Public Buildings and High Visibility Venues
- Armored Vehicles, Banks
- Police Vehicles, Water Patrol Vessels, Barricades
- Limousines and Other Transportation Targets
- Exposed Pipes, Bridges, Chemical Tanks
- Sensitive Facilities Attracting Protestors
- Training Bunkers for Military and Police
Not all dangers are due to terrorism; some facilities can be at risk for explosion. In addition to planned attacks, these coatings can protect areas that can be vulnerable to industrial accidents such as oil, gas and chemical facilities. Products also protects against excessive friction and highly corrosive chemicals. These failures can cause costly damage and consequential environmental hazards.
Our coatings also add maximum durability against extreme weather such as high winds, flying debris and flooding. In tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes, coated structures resist cracking, spalling and water damage, depending on how and where the coating is applied.
UltraBlast and ArmorBlast Compositions
Both blast protection products were developed by ArmorThane from a two-component 100% solid polyurea. They are a 1:1, fast set, spray-applied hybrid polyurea elastomer that is 100% solids and VOC free. Coatings are professionally applied with HighLine high pressure spraying equipment.
Read more about Damage-Resistant Products.
|Physical Properties||Tear*||Tensile*||Elongation*||Surface Hardness*|
|ArmorBlast Pure Polyurea|
ASTM D-2240 550 pli
|ASTM D-412 3600 psi||ASTM D-412 350%||ASTM D-1737 95-97 Shore A|
|UltraBlast Pure Polyurea||Die “C” ASTM D‐624* 250 +/- 25 pli||ASTM D-412 7100 psi||ASTM D412 800%||ASTM D-2240 50/95 Shore D/A|
*Please note, spray equipment, testing parameters, and application environment may result in differing properties. Users should perform their own independent testing as properties are approximate. Technical Data Sheets offer more information.
Read more about Blast Mitigation.
Learn more about all of the Polyurea Products.
Please contact ArmorThane to determine which is the best product for the project. Call 1.800.227.2905.